Our attendance target is 96% this year
You can view our Attendance Policy here: Attendance Policy
An absence means that children miss important school time and it may be difficult for them to catch up on work later on.
If your child needs to be absent from school, you must:
- Inform the school office on the first day of absence by either sending a message on our App, phoning 0161 921 1700 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Give an estimated date of return to school
- If your child is unable to return to school on the expected date, please inform school office
- If your child is absent for an appointment, please provide copies of medical appointment letters or cards
Understanding types of absence:
We take a morning and afternoon register. Each of these registers have an ‘attendance mark’, so a child recieves 2 marks per school day. An absence from school has to be classified as either authorised or unauthorised. This is why information about the cause of any absence is always required.
Authorised absences must have reasons like illness, emergency, medical appointments (that cannot be arranged out of school time) or another unavoidable cause.
Unauthorised absences are those that the school does not consider reasonable and for which no approved leave has been given. This includes:
- Children who arrive at school too late to get a mark
- Children off school unnecessarily
- Absences that have not been properly explained
- Holidays in term time
We encourage pupils to be in school on time for the start school day.
When pupils are late, even by 5 minutes, they miss essential learning and instructions given out at the start of their lesson. This can significantly reduce achievement, regardless of
academic ability. Your child may also feel awkward arriving to the classroom when
everyone else is settled. Furthermore, when one pupil arrives late, it disrupts the
entire class and the teacher – everyone’s education is compromised.
Not only is this disruptive to the pupils’ education, it also inconveniences staff, who
have to take pupils from the office to the classrooms and amend lunch
Our school morning routine is outlined below:
|8:45||School gates open, pupils line up|
|8:50||Pupils enter classrooms, put coats/bags away|
Please ensure that you leave your home in plenty of time, in order for pupils to be
on school grounds once the gates are open.
If there is an emergency which means you are running late, please send a message
via our app (ParentApp Connect) or phone school to let the office staff know.
Thank you for your support.