Fiddlers Lane Community Primary School
Fiddlers Lane, Irlam, Manchester M44 6QE
TEL: 0161 921 1700
EMAIL: [email protected]

Here to Help

At Fiddlers Lane, we are here to help with more than just your child’s education.

We are able to provide a listening ear, friendly faces and helpful advice for many situations you may find yourself in.

It may be a family emergency, financial strain, domestic abuse or bereavement. Maybe you need help with the impact of COVID-19.

Please reach out and we will try to help where we can.

There is help available for you and we can be the starting point. We hope that you find the information and links below useful. 

Please contact Mrs O’Neill on 0161 775 2490 or email [email protected] if you need help, guidance or support. 




 Young Carers

A young carer is a child or young person under 18 who provides regular and ongoing care and emotional support to a family member who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances. There are an estimated 700,000 young carers in the UK.


Every summer, The Children’s Society partner with YMCA Fairthorne Group to host the largest festival in the world for young people with a caring responsibility at home. The Young Carers Festival (YCF) is the biggest gathering of young carers’ in the world. It is an annual must-attend event for young carers to have fun, unwind, make new friends and try new things.


 Supports any family with a child under 5 years old. Their support is free, confidential and non-judgemental. They can arrange home visits to offer support, friendship and practical assistance. 


Financial Help

If you are struggling with finances, either temporarily or more long term, The Trussell Trust Food Banks are an organisation that can help you.

They can provide emergency Food Parcels for you and your family and can also help with essential non-food items like toiletries and hygiene products where they can.
See the button links below for more information.

Wood Street Mission 

A Manchester charity who run a number of schemes throughout the year including Christmas Parcels & School uniform. Help is available for children’s clothes, baby items, bedding and toys.

If you need support from either of these organisations, please contact Mrs O’Neill for a referral. 

 Welfare Rights

You can receive free, confidential and independent advice on benefits or debt problems. Referrals are accepted online or by phone

Email [email protected] 


Tel 0800 3457375 

Citizen Advice Bureau (CAB)

Information and advice on a range of subjects including Benefits, Debt, Housing, Health & Community Care, Employment and Consumer Advice. Various locations through Salford. 


Call on freephone 08082787802

The telephone service  is open Monday to Friday 9am – 4pm or their email advice service can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Citizens Advice Greater Manchester Out of Hours Advice 7pm- 10pm everyday. If you can’t reach CAB and need to speak to someone then call or SMS to 0161 850 5053. Click here to contact via messenger or WhatsApp

Help From Salford Council

Visit the Spirit of Salford page and request help online or call the helpline. You can also access Salford Assist for support with food and fuel this way.

The new Household Support Fund is intended to support households and families in Salford and will be distributed by Salford City Council’s Salford Assist team.

The support will mostly be awarded by way of a grant payment to those eligible to assist with things like:

  • purchasing food
  • financial support for energy, water and utility bills
  • help to keep homes warm over the winter months
  • other essential items and support

Salford City Council are committed to ensuring vulnerable residents are supported in the best way possible and the new Household Support Fund will mirror the support Salford City Council offer via their Discretionary Support Scheme – Salford Assist, in the way that all reasonable requests for support will be considered. This could be for:

  • household items
  • white goods
  • carpets
  • thermal curtains to keep homes warm

Salford Assist will also help with referrals to other agencies to ensure you are getting the help you need.

Salford residents do not need to be in receipt of benefits to apply for the Household Support Fund, it is expected however that applicants are prepared to provide evidence that they do not have the funds themselves to purchase the items requested.

Domestic Abuse

If you are a victim of Domestic Abuse, please do not suffer in silence. We can support you in contacting the organisations that can help you.
The freephone, 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 2000 247

We understand that it is sometimes hard to pick up a phone and talk to someone so there is now a livechat option online visit (access live chat Mon-Fri 3-10pm)

If your child has witnessed or experienced domestic violence, click ‘Supporting Your Child’ where you can find help and guidance. Please contact us on 01617752490 to speak with a member of staff at school who can help and support you.


CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) is an NHS service offering a wide range of help for Children and Young People.

If you would like to discuss a CAMHS referral, please contact Ms Cohen or Mrs O’Neill.

42nd Street Supporting the emotional wellbeing of young people ages 13-25yrs. Services include counselling, individual support, group work and volunteering opportunities.

Tel – 01612281888 

Achieve Specialist Drug & Alcohol advice, support and treatment. Tel 0161 358 1530 for adults or 0161 358 1858 for under 25yrs




Our Place runs courses that can help everyone. ”The place to unearth all your potential as a parent or carer. Discover, learn, understand. Fascinating online courses for everyone who wants to be an even better mum, dad, grandparent or carer.”



Emotionally Based School Avoidance (EBSA)
Emotional Based School Avoidance (EBSA) describes children and young people who experience difficulty in attending school due to emotional factors, often resulting in prolonged absences from school. We know that the earlier difficulties are identified, and support is put in place the more successful we are at developing children and young people’s ability to cope with their anxiety, return to school and access improved attendance and ongoing life opportunities.

 Housing Advice/Homelessness

Salford Housing Options Point (SHOP) is Salford’s one-stop shop for all aspects of housing advice. The service is free, impartial and confidential. Housing options assessments are conducted in private interview rooms and an officer will be available to offer advice. The housing options service is able to offer interpreters and signers where required.

Please email [email protected] for housing issues or
[email protected] for Salford Home Search enquiries.

If you are homeless or need advice and information please call 0161 793 2020.

If you need assistance outside of office hours please call 0161 794 8888.


For Urgent housing advice call 0808 800 4444


Early Support offers support, information and advice to parents and carers of disabled children.

The Early Support Programme is for families with disabled children under five years of age and anyone who regularly works with them. 

It was developed by parents, carers and practitioners. It is a national programme to ensure families are kept at the heart of decision making about their child. Click the link to the right for more information.



 2 Year Old Funding. Some 2 year olds may be entitled to access 15 hours a week free childcare. Apply online by clicking the button to the left.

3/4 Year Old Funding ALL 3-4 year olds qualify for 15 hours free childcare, the term after their 3rd birthday. Some children may qualify for 30hours. To check the criteria and apply visit ’30 Hours Free’ to the left